If you have to drive after dusk and you have never done it before, you need to take the following tips in mind. We hope that they will help you stay safe on the US roadways!
- Stay alert and sober. Before driving in the late hours avoid taking medications that make you drowsy.
- Make sure your lights are on immediately after you start the engine. This will allow you to see the road and to be noticed by other late night drivers.
- Do not text or talk on your cell while driving. This may distract you from the road situation ahead of you and may lead to an accident.
- Be extra attentive. If you want to protect yourself as well as the other drivers on the road, focus on the road situation as much as possible and do not try to limit the distractions as much as possible. Talking to the other people in the car, changing the radio station, passing food and drinks around the car can deviate your attention from the road ahead of you.
- Carry a roadside emergency kit. This will provide you with a peace of mind that you will not be left standing for long on the side of the road and get accidentally hit by another car driving in the dark hours. Do not forget to always carry with you the contact details of a towing & roadside assistance company that can save you in emergency situations.